Welcome to Apprenticeship, Employment & Labour Market
As Secretariat for the Samoa Apprenticeship Council, we are mandated by the Apprenticeship Act 2014 and the policies set out by the council, carry out investigations and inspections where required, take legal actions based on complaints by employers and/or apprentices. It is the ILO's focal point in Samoa. The collection of labour market information from employers for the assessment of employment levels, training needs and employment opportunities of the private sector allows the Division to maintain a database on labour market information.
The division also administers the registration and referral of job seekers to employers for placement in available job vacancies compatible with their skills/experience.
- Advises cabinet through the Apprenticeship Council and the Minister for MCIL on policy matters pertaining to apprenticeship training, labour and employment
- Provides advice to employers and apprentices on their rights and obligations under the Apprenticeship Act 2014, and Apprenticeship Regulations 2014
- Consults with NUS (Faculty of Applied Science) on the dual administration and development of the Apprenticeship Training Scheme
- Consults with other stakeholders on training needs, employment creation, and on sharing of labour market information
- Enforces requirements of the Apprenticeship Act 2014 and the Apprenticeship Regulations 2014 with emphasis on contract obligations of apprentices and their employers.
- Investigate complaints by employers and/or apprentices and instigate legal action in collaboration with the office of the Attorney General where necessary
- Enforces legal obligations of employers concerning the maintaining of records of workers and the submission of periodic returns on employment
- Serves as Secretariat to the Samoa Apprenticeship Council
- Administers Apprenticeship Training Scheme in collaboration with NUS
- Focal point in Samoa for the International Labour Organisation (IL0)
- Administers Job Referral and Placement Scheme for job seekers (Job Centre)
- Maintains up-to-date database of labour market information through periodic surveys and collecting information from other sources
- Disseminates information on employment and labour market and on other functions of division to users and stakeholders
About our APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING SCHEME
About our EMPLOYMENT SERVICE
About our LABOUR MARKET SURVEY